Friday, November 30, 2012

November 2012

Ellos,
I've put a few more pictures online from November 2012.  It's been an interesting month. Nothing massive has happened exactly but it feels like a lot has still gone down.
I write about my bday last time so I won't here but it was a lot of fun.  There seem to be a lot of birthdays in November. Might have something with it being 9 months after Valentine's day.
I've been working way more this month. My boss keeps asking me to do extra jobs. Fortunately these are all with adults and I enjoy teaching adults. It adds a reasonable extra level of income.  I was supposed to be done teaching one class this week but all the students asked their leader to bring me back so now I'm doing another 5.  Teaching adults and college students requires way more prepwork than teaching kids.  Last year I could prepare for 15 minutes and be good for the week.  This year it takes almost the same amount of time to prepare as the actual lesson takes.  Fortunately I can reuse lessons for other classes.
Part of the extra lessons is a class of 30 middle aged doctors. They're going to Austin to work for awhile and need English practice.  I taught listening to them so I showed episodes of House.  It's crazy a city this size can lose 30 doctors without issue.
I've made a plan for Spring Festival as well.  For the first week or so zzf and I are going to go to Southern China and explore a city called Xiamen.  After that we'll go to Guangzhou and she'll head home. I'll meet up with a bunch of guys and go to Macau before Bryan (another teacher here) and I go to Thailand for the remainder. I'm pretty pumped about it even though I was in Thailand last year.
Through a long, complicated, and slightly annoying series of events I have also inherited a puppy for 2 months (so it'll be gone by the time I leave for holiday).  I really have no desire to have a dog but it's a favour.  Fortunately it requires fairly minimal work for a dog.  I'm not really sure what kind of dog it is. I'd guess 100% mutt. I've named him Roshak.
I've received a few postcards to date at my new address but also had something else not arrive.  A basic rule is to make it look as uninteresting as possible. Postcards out of an envelop are likely ok, though.
I'll keep this update shorter. As always send emails or leave comments!
WG1

1 comment:

  1. How big is the dog? I'm hoping he is cute to make up for the slightly annoying part. Dad and I are about to leave Birmingham. Every minute counts. Talk to you soon. love mom

    ReplyDelete