Wednesday, June 22, 2016

To Xiamen!

So, after much paperwork problems including my degree being lost in the mail, I am heading to Xiamen to do... more paperwork.
I'm going to Xiamen for a week to do my visa, I'll then be back in Dongying for a few weeks until I get the visa back, then I'll be home for maybe 3 weeks before moving to Xiamen.
Today I sent 5 large boxes of stuff through the mail to meet me there.  I had been told it wouldn't be too expensive.  When they weighed the stuff it came to 80kg and I was told the cost was 8,200RMB (about $1700) which seemed crazy.  He insisted it was right.  After awhile it came out that he thought I wanted to ship to Russia.  I have no idea why, Russia was never mentioned.  When he realized it was in China the price came down ... a lot.  Grand total, 260RMB or about $25.
That sounded like a better deal.
I take the train today from Dongying to a slightly bigger city then I take the bullet train for the 1800km journey tomorrow.  Will take almost 11 hours but I can take bags without worrying about weight and trains are generally just less annoying.
Hopefully it all goes well in Xiamen!
Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment