![]() | |
| Harold Potter* |
Last night I went to the couple's place that has an apartment, she made us a good meal and we watched Harry Potter. Was nice to do something like that again.
Yesterday I also toured around all the markets again with 3 girls who are fairly new to the city. in that group I had by far the best Mandarin which made it interesting but it forces me to try which is a good thing. When I'm out with someone who speaks better than I do I often don't use Mandarin much. I've been hunting for shoes. Yesterday I found a pair that could do in a pinch. The price was good, they were big enough, and fit my orthotics but they weren't quite wide enough. Still, I really don't think I'll find a wider shoe. So my options are to go with those or else order online for 3x the cost. Not sure what I'll do yet. My current shoes are only 2 months old but I've put on a lot of miles with them.
I've developed a bit of a strategy when going to a new restaurant where I don't know what anything is. I ask the owner what he/she likes and then get whatever that is. So far it hasn't failed me but I'm sure one day I will end up getting chicken heads or else a meal big enough for 10 people. Today I used this strategy and it worked very well but it was spicy. This was good but I needed some water so I asked for some but forgot that I was in China. I got a nice bowl of leftover noodle water, boiling hot. Apparently it is good for "digestion". Note to self: ask for COLD water.
Things are cooling off here a bit now. The Texans have had their electric heater on for awhile now. I haven't used heat yet but I believe the radiators were turned on today. Apparently the government sets a date for when they are to be turned on and that is when they are turned on no matter what. ie it could be 0C outside but it it's before that date they don't come on. Alternatively it could be 30C but they get turned on anyway. TIC.
I bought some fantastic grapes just now. Quite happy with them.
I'm still unsure what I will be doing for my break in January. We don't have exact dates yet and may not for another month but I'll have at least 4 weeks free. I'm thinking maybe Thailand so if any of you are up for a vacation let me know!
That's it for now. I haven't received any mail yet for those of you who sent something. I know it can take a few weeks. I just mailed something home and could pay 200RMB for "fast" or 10RMB for "slow". So sorry to the recipient but it will take awhile!
Wiseguy1

ah my dear, I shall wait. wink wink, pretty gutsy to think it might be fore me eh? I mailed a p/c for you mid Sept. so, its gonna be a while till you get birthday greetings too I suspect. I'm skeptical about sending a package. I think you should spend the bucks and get shoes that fit, considering all the walking you do.
ReplyDeleteSo, they served you "fire water" when you asked for water. Very Canadian.
love mom