Nicole and I are both getting super excited about coming to Canada this summer. She told me yesterday that she hopes she'll be able to sleep in the week leading up to it so I take that to be a pretty great sign. I can't wait for people to meet her and both of us are also excited to meet the baby monkey that my sister now has.
I'm nearly done classes for the semester. I just have 4 days of class left so I'll be done in about a week, then some paperwork, then I'll be free.
Things here have mostly continued on normally. One bizarre thing is that my college randomly decided to start blocking motorcycles from entering campus. There didn't seem to be any reason for this and I saw some inside anyway and was told there's a permit to get so I asked my boss to help me to go the security to get one. What follows is the general conversation. It was basically a whole exercise in who can play the "just following orders" defense the best.
There was a holiday here over the weekend which means I had to work Saturday but had Monday and Tuesday off because that's how holidays work here. On Monday I planned a beach day and managed to get about 20 people out. It was a nice day swimming in warm water.
I'm nearly done classes for the semester. I just have 4 days of class left so I'll be done in about a week, then some paperwork, then I'll be free.
Things here have mostly continued on normally. One bizarre thing is that my college randomly decided to start blocking motorcycles from entering campus. There didn't seem to be any reason for this and I saw some inside anyway and was told there's a permit to get so I asked my boss to help me to go the security to get one. What follows is the general conversation. It was basically a whole exercise in who can play the "just following orders" defense the best.
It basically went something like this:
Me: I want a pass so I can come into the school.
Them: Only 3 passes were given and that was just for security people.
me: Fine, then add one more, I need a pass.
Them: We can't give you one.
Me: Why?
Them (seeming stunned at this question): because motorcycles aren't allowed.
M: why not?
T: Because it's the rule
M: why is it a rule? Cars are allowed, why not bikes?
T: motorcycles are more dangerous
M: was there an accident here? How many accidents have there been on campus in the past 5 years with motorcycles vs cars?
T: we have no idea
M: then how can you say there's a difference?
T: Well, we don't make this rule, it's from the board
M: OK, I want to meet the board
T: well, there are a lot of people
M: I don't care, tell me when there's a meeting next time and I'll talk to them.
T (pausing): well, it's the rule everywhere in Xiamen.
M: We're not in Xiamen
T: well, we're still a part of Xiamen
M: Motorcycles are allowed here, fireworks are allowed here. You're randomly applying rules.
T: Well, there's nothing we can do, it's the regulation.
M: In Xiamen there are buses that go everywhere, when I need things for class will you send a car to pick me up and carry it? (this is obviously not something I need but something I thought they might understand, surprisingly I was right)
T (after calling around for awhile): ok, we'll start a shuttlebus going to south gate.
M: (dammit, not really something I cared about) and to English corner also?
T: no, it's too late. You have to walk in.
M: You still haven't explained the reason for this rule.
T: there was a really bad accident with a motorcycle in the past. 3 years ago.
M: OK, so if there's a bad accident with a car then all cars will be banned right? if we can agree to that I'll leave right now
T: (long pause) this is just the rule.
M: Do any people who made this decision have a motorcycle or do they all have cars?
T: .....
M: OK, if ligong buys me a car I will stop complaining
T: you know, in China we're taught not to question why. So we don't know how to answer your questions.
M: can you all just admit that this rule has zero reasons for being in existence except that rich people don't like motorcycles?
T: But there are lots of unlicensed motorcycles.
M: Mine isn't, let me prove it and you give me a pass just like the cars have
T: (long pause) It's because of BRICS (a big summit meeting happening in Xiamen in September causing heightened security.
Me: I want a pass so I can come into the school.
Them: Only 3 passes were given and that was just for security people.
me: Fine, then add one more, I need a pass.
Them: We can't give you one.
Me: Why?
Them (seeming stunned at this question): because motorcycles aren't allowed.
M: why not?
T: Because it's the rule
M: why is it a rule? Cars are allowed, why not bikes?
T: motorcycles are more dangerous
M: was there an accident here? How many accidents have there been on campus in the past 5 years with motorcycles vs cars?
T: we have no idea
M: then how can you say there's a difference?
T: Well, we don't make this rule, it's from the board
M: OK, I want to meet the board
T: well, there are a lot of people
M: I don't care, tell me when there's a meeting next time and I'll talk to them.
T (pausing): well, it's the rule everywhere in Xiamen.
M: We're not in Xiamen
T: well, we're still a part of Xiamen
M: Motorcycles are allowed here, fireworks are allowed here. You're randomly applying rules.
T: Well, there's nothing we can do, it's the regulation.
M: In Xiamen there are buses that go everywhere, when I need things for class will you send a car to pick me up and carry it? (this is obviously not something I need but something I thought they might understand, surprisingly I was right)
T (after calling around for awhile): ok, we'll start a shuttlebus going to south gate.
M: (dammit, not really something I cared about) and to English corner also?
T: no, it's too late. You have to walk in.
M: You still haven't explained the reason for this rule.
T: there was a really bad accident with a motorcycle in the past. 3 years ago.
M: OK, so if there's a bad accident with a car then all cars will be banned right? if we can agree to that I'll leave right now
T: (long pause) this is just the rule.
M: Do any people who made this decision have a motorcycle or do they all have cars?
T: .....
M: OK, if ligong buys me a car I will stop complaining
T: you know, in China we're taught not to question why. So we don't know how to answer your questions.
M: can you all just admit that this rule has zero reasons for being in existence except that rich people don't like motorcycles?
T: But there are lots of unlicensed motorcycles.
M: Mine isn't, let me prove it and you give me a pass just like the cars have
T: (long pause) It's because of BRICS (a big summit meeting happening in Xiamen in September causing heightened security.
it went on a bit longer than that with me offering to put comedy training wheels on it so that I'd have 4 wheels just like a car but basically they just said there is nothing they can do and that maybe it'll go away after BRICS (it won't).
There was a holiday here over the weekend which means I had to work Saturday but had Monday and Tuesday off because that's how holidays work here. On Monday I planned a beach day and managed to get about 20 people out. It was a nice day swimming in warm water.
On tuesday we went to one of the nearby mountains. It's a gorgeous area to ride. I even found a mountain pool and went swimming. If it had been a bit deeper it would've been just about perfect.
Next month I have 3 friends visiting me and I'm looking forward to showing them around a bit.
See you all in July!
I've added more pictures to the Spring 2017 album, so if you've seen some just scroll down further. They are here: https://goo.gl/photos/LYwvzjeJYeENUrnV8
I've also been having fun taking pictures of funny English shirts. They can be found here https://goo.gl/photos/m75zaiAbsbdia38P9
Leave some comments or send me an email if you life them. I always like hearing from you.
Also, if you'd like to see Nicole and I sometime this summer send me a message and we can pick a time to do something. We're home most of July and August but time is starting to fill up.

I've seen the shirts, do really "life" them. Is it all just a matter of mistranslation? Are they actually trying to make a point with them?
ReplyDeleteThe rule following over there certainly gets taken to rediculous lengths eh?