Wednesday, January 31, 2018

So I got married

You may be aware that I recently got married.
Sorry, let me rephrase that: I GOT MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't done an entry in awhile so there's a bit to cover but I'll keep it fairly short and let the captions in the pictures explain more if you're interested.

I uploaded an album of things going on during the fall.  That includes my trip to Nicole's hometown of YongDing to meet a lot of relatives.  That album can be found here.

In mid January, my parents, Jonathan and LJ Brubacher, and my cousins Derek and David Alton all flew over for the wedding.
It's been a quite crazy 3 weeks but we were able to see and do so much.  The wedding day itself was phenomenal.  Despite some early hiccups (her family and maid of honour didn't show up for what felt like a long time and she had to keep calling), the afternoon ceremony and reception in the evening were so much fun.  Had many comments from my guests that they had a great time.
I'm waiting on my photographer to finish some of the pictures he took.  When he does so I'll upload them and let you know.
After the wedding all 8 of us piled into a minivan and went to YongDing.  I think for many of the visitors, this was the highlight, especially visiting Nicole's aunt and uncle's fruit farm.  We stayed there 2 nights.
When we got back to Xiamen, Jon and LJ flew out on their own to another part of China while the rest of us went to Shenzhen and then Hong Kong.  Shenzhen is one of the most ridiculous cities I've ever been to.  It's so close to Hong Kong (you can ride a subway between them) so it's become a huge hub for shipments.  If you've ever bought something on ebay that says it's from HK, it's most likely come from Shenzhen.  The city is just an endless market of boxes getting ready to be shipped for individual orders.
Hong Kong is full of people.  With my parents and Derek and David along, I knew they'd enjoy it but there are definitely some people reading this that, if they visited me, I would not take there.  I'm pretty good (I think) at tailoring trips to what people would find interesting, so come visit regardless of what you enjoy!
Those 4 all flew home from HK and then I flew to Chongqing to meet Jon/LJ for another week.  We wandered around a lot but the absolute highlight had to be the monkeys.  I've seen monkeys quite a few times in my life and, well, there's no nice way to put this: they're absolute assholes.  They're funny but they steal absolutely everything and they can be quite violent if you don't give them anything.  That's what I was anticipating when me made the long mountain trek in Emeishan.
Instead, what we got, was incredibly friendly monkeys that just seemed to want to play.  They'd jump all over us.  Unfortunately one of them DID steal my glasses but it seemed like more of an accident.  He was trying to stand on my head and seemed to grab them to sturdy himself.  Then he jumped off of me and let them go, but we were standing on a bridge and they fell into the water.  Fortunately glasses here are really cheap and I don't need them to survive.
Honestly, the whole experience is probably a top 10 moment of my life.  It only lasted 10 minutes or so until we were overwhelmed but we were all laughing throughout the entire thing.  I think Jon/LJ would agree about this.
I just got back home on Monday.  It was great to travel with the others but I really missed Nicole through the whole thing. She's just so much fun to do things with and I look forward to our honeymoon that we leave for on Saturday.
Pictures from the travels with the visitors from Canada can be found here.
Thanks to all who wished us well, we're both excited for getting married a second time in Canada where things will probably be a bit more predictable and smooth!
Josh (and Nicole who's at work but I'm sure says hi)

No comments:

Post a Comment