OK, so not sure anyone even checks this out anymore as it's been forever since I posted anything.
I've still been emailing people but it occurs to me that this may be better, that way people who are interested can come here and those who aren't don't have to be bothered by emails they're not interested in. I'm not promising weekly, or even monthly, updates but I'll try to post things here several times a year. And pictures sometimes appear on my picasa account (link at the side) so you can see what I'm up to. I've updated my address, the link on the right will explain if you want to send something.
For now, here's an experience I had at a bank a few weeks ago:
PS, since I wrote that, I've since gone back AGAIN. They found someone to help me but it took an hour waiting at the teller. Only 2 tellers were working and there was a huge line. After an hour he told me that he couldn't fix it so I'd have to open an brand new account. I said that'd take another hour and people were waiting, he agreed so he said he'd call me. When he did finally contact me I told him I'd just go to a new bank, wasn't worth the pain of changing everything over.
Went to a new bank to set up an account, zzf was with me this time. This time there was only one teller working. Took about 30 minutes when, again, a massive line formed behind me. There were lots of people working there but they all just stand around to "direct" people, none actually do anything. I see this at supermarkets all the time. EVERY aisle has someone working in it but when you go to checkout only about 20% of the tills are open.
Anyway, think I'm (mostly) good to go now. And we think our banking is bad at home!
I've still been emailing people but it occurs to me that this may be better, that way people who are interested can come here and those who aren't don't have to be bothered by emails they're not interested in. I'm not promising weekly, or even monthly, updates but I'll try to post things here several times a year. And pictures sometimes appear on my picasa account (link at the side) so you can see what I'm up to. I've updated my address, the link on the right will explain if you want to send something.
For now, here's an experience I had at a bank a few weeks ago:
So I got a new phone number, these things happen, it seems to happen even more frequently in China. Anyway, for some reason you cannot change your number online with banks here. You actually have to go in and tell them. I assume this is because if someone has managed to steal your login info, password, and usb key with a randomly generated password that it would be horrible for them to change your number.
Anyway, I go to the bank, there's a 1 hour wait to talk to someone so I get a number then go to the market. zzf is with me this time, we get back, kill time, finally get up. I have to enter my password about 10 times but it's finally done. I go home and think nothing of it.
A few weeks later I go to do something where I need the bank to send me a temporary password, it won't come through. I check my number, it's not been changed on the site. I go to the bank again. It's a 2 hour wait this time. Fortunately I still had the sheet from the last time showing the # change request. The girl must've felt sorry for me and took me to a VIP window to get help right away. It took about 30 minutes but eventually I was told it was done. I went home.
Later that day I got around to trying to get online again. Number still isn't changed.
Back to the bank for the 3rd time. Same girl is there and sees I look annoyed. She tells me it was changed, I show her online that it hasn't been. She seems confused but takes a picture of the screen then takes me to the VIP section again to the same girl. The girl says it has been changed. Other girl shows her the picture. VIP girl says you can't change it. That obviously sounds ridiculous. So I find out that they only changed the number that the bank has on file, but not the one for online banking. Why in the world would someone only want to change the former and not change the latter? Also, why didn't VIP girl notice that I was back again to change the number and then do exactly the same thing as before??
Anyway, it then takes another 30 minutes and this time I have to enter my PIN 15 times (yes, 15, I counted).
When it's done I find a computer right there to test it to be sure it's going to work. Well not I have a new USB login thing and it, apparently, needs a password and it must be exactly 8 digits. I say I'll never remember that since I never need a numeric PIN that's 8 digits. She tells me to just use 1 through 8. I stare at her then pick something I hope I'll remember.
Finally it works and I'm on, by now the bank is closing so I go home.
When I get home I go online then go to the page I've been wanting all along. I use the new usb thing... I have to restart my browser twice but eventually I get through!
The next message: Please visit an outlet to complete this transaction.
JoshPS, since I wrote that, I've since gone back AGAIN. They found someone to help me but it took an hour waiting at the teller. Only 2 tellers were working and there was a huge line. After an hour he told me that he couldn't fix it so I'd have to open an brand new account. I said that'd take another hour and people were waiting, he agreed so he said he'd call me. When he did finally contact me I told him I'd just go to a new bank, wasn't worth the pain of changing everything over.
Went to a new bank to set up an account, zzf was with me this time. This time there was only one teller working. Took about 30 minutes when, again, a massive line formed behind me. There were lots of people working there but they all just stand around to "direct" people, none actually do anything. I see this at supermarkets all the time. EVERY aisle has someone working in it but when you go to checkout only about 20% of the tills are open.
Anyway, think I'm (mostly) good to go now. And we think our banking is bad at home!
No comments:
Post a Comment